A rocking chair is a chair that is built on two curved pieces of wood so that it moves forwards and backward when you are sitting in it. Rocking chairs were introduced in the 1700s.On the contrary, their designs were based on rocking cradles that preexisted in ancient times. Are rocking chairs good for you and your baby? Let’s dive into the details.
For centuries, rocking chairs have been treasured heirlooms to hand down through generations. These chairs are a relic of ancient times for most families.
Rocking chairs were traditionally built with wood and U-shaped legs. However, technological advancement has presented modern rockers which come in a variety of different shapes, materials, and designs. Despite all these changes, the classic wooden rocking chair is still one of the most iconic inventions since time immemorial.
Rocking chairs are becoming more and more common and popular in homes and offices lately. This can be attributed to the myriad benefits of rocking chairs.
Benefits of Rocking Chairs
The effects of the rhythmic motion of a rocking chair provide the most benefits which include:
1. Enhances sleep
- Gentle repetitive movements of a rocking chair provide a soothing, calming effect to both infants and adults. Hence for insomniacs, rocking can be a great remedy for falling asleep. This is because the back and forth motion of a rocking chair induces sleepiness enabling you to fall and stay asleep.
2. Improves balance
- The motion during rocking stimulates the body to maintain balance by stimulating the vestibular system which helps in maintaining balance. Patients normally undergo vestibular rehabilitation therapy such as rocking chair therapy to regain posture and improve balance.
3. Mild form of Exercise
- The simple act of rocking is a mild form of exercise that engages the thigh and abdominal muscles hence burns calories. This maintains muscle tone and improves knee strength and flexibility. It is a great exercise option for people with sedentary lifestyles and the elderly who get little exercise.
4. Promotes emotional well being
- The act of prolonged rhythmic exercise promotes the release of endorphins which elevates mood and brings greater peace of mind when rocking. It also reduces stress and depression hence improving the emotional wellbeing of an individual.
5. Reduces alcohol cravings
- Patients recovering from alcoholism tend to have fewer urges and desires to drink when undergoing therapeutic rocking. This is due to the endorphins released when rocking and provides a relaxed and calm mind.
6. Promotes blood circulation
- The back and forth motion of a rocking chair is an exercise that enables the heart to pump blood around the body faster and helps flush the blood through the arteries. This improves blood circulation throughout the body and reduces the risk of cardiovascular diseases such as heart attacks especially in older people.
7. Health benefits
Rocking in a rocking chair is a moderate form of exercise that releases endorphins which are chemicals produced by the brain to reduce stress and can improve health in various significant ways such as:
- Eases arthritis and joint pains because it strengthens muscles and loosens stuff joints without requiring much exertion.
- Provides a great pain relief during labor for pregnant women compared to lying down or sitting during labor.
- Helps in chronic pain management in patients suffering from fibromyalgia: a condition characterized by widespread chronic pain mostly occurring in older women.
- Stimulates Post-Operative healing achieved through rocking chair therapy to ease lower back pain, abdominal pain resulting from C-sections, bowel dysfunction and constipation after surgery.
- Decreases the need for anxiety and depression medications hence decreasing the side effects that come with the use of these medications. This also helps in easing dementia symptoms such as anxiety, depression and tension.
- Soothes colic disorders in babies by reducing crying and promoting peaceful sleep.
- Elevates mood in individuals with PTSD, autism and schizophrenia through therapeutic rocking.
Rocking chairs are therefore natural and effective medical tools that offer tremendous therapeutic benefits.
Disadvantages of Rocking Chairs
Every rose has its thorn. Despite the numerous benefits of rocking chairs there still exists cons associated with rocking chairs. Nevertheless, these disadvantages can easily be fixed without much effort. Below are the disadvantages of rocking chairs.
1. Hard and Uncomfortable
- Some traditional wooden rocking chairs tend to be too hard. This can be fixed by using a cushion to pad the rocker so as to feel comfortable while rocking. Alternatively you can buy upholstered rocking chairs which are more expensive than wooden rocking chairs but are quite cozy to sit in.
2. Cause Injuries
- Rocking chairs can at times cause injuries to kids and even the elderly while rocking if the rocking chair is unstable or is not rightly placed. This can be prevented by choosing an appropriate place in the house for the rocking chair so as to avoid such injuries.
3. Risk of falls
Falls due to rocking chairs are mainly common among the aged. The falls may lead to serious injuries. It is therefore important to prevent falls by doing the following:
- Ensuring maximum stability of the rocking chairs.
- Equipping the rocking chair with a device that disables the chair when sitting in or standing from the chair for safety while rocking
- Advancing the armrests to make sitting in and standing from of the rocking chair easier.
- Choosing adjustable sizes to accommodate any form of physique.
What to consider when Buying a rocking Chair
Having a rocking chair is significant to every home and office. Rocking chairs are ergonomically designed in different varieties of shape, colors, and materials. The choice is yours if you want to get one for yourself. However, there are some important points to consider when buying rocking chairs:
- Ensure the size of the rocker is appropriate and the seat is big enough because you will need extra comfort while sitting.
- Ensure that the motion of the rocker is smooth and you don’t need to put in extra efforts for continuous motion.
- Check that the rocker is properly pitched by sitting on the rocker and swing back and fro. If you feel that you are about to fall, the rockers are not pitched for you.
At long last, you may decide based on your particular tastes and preferences. In any case, the design that you choose will exquisitely accentuate the furniture in any home or office.
Conclusion: Rocking Chairs are Certainly Good for You
There is no doubt in the fact that rocking chairs play very important roles in our daily lives. Rocking in a rocking chair transcends tranquility. Not only will it give you inner peace but it will also provide you with tremendous health benefits. Believe me, there is more to it than meets the eye!