For many, the idea of throwing away an old office chair is unthinkable. But if you’re lucky enough to be getting a new office chair, your old chair can still make a difference in someone else’s life.
There are charities that will take donated furniture and use it to furnish shelters for victims of domestic abuse, schools and community centers in developing countries, and transitional housing facilities for veterans and the homeless.
But before you donate or sell your old office chairs, there are some things you need to know…
Are you planning to revamp your office setup? If yes, what’s the plan for the old furniture?
There has to be a solid strategy for using or disposing of the old chairs and furniture.
Amongst the various furniture pieces in the office, chairs are amongst the most-used items, and thus they go through a lot of wear and tear.
In this article, we shall talk about the various ways that allow quick and easy ways to reuse or recycle office chairs.
Here’s What All You Can Do With Old Office Chairs
Office chairs have the fastest turnover rate compared to other furniture items, and getting rid of the old chairs in a productive way is quite a task.
So, if you are planning to give a new look to your office space, making a wise decision for the old office chairs is of utmost importance.
The most thoughtful thing you can do is donate your office chairs to a charity or someone in need for a good cause. This way, you can help people in need, and your office chairs are used for a purpose.
So, you can take the help of different charities that connect the donor and the people in need. Besides, there are other various non-profit organizations where you donate your stuff, and these organizations keep the stuff and give it to needy people when required.
Here are some charity organizations that will accept your old office chair(s) as a donation, some of these companies even provide free pick up,
- PickUpMyDonation.com (Free Pick up)
- Furniture Bank Network
- Greendrop (Free Pick up)
- PickupPlease.org (Free Pick up)
- The Arc.org
- HomelessShelters Directory
- Donation Town (Free Pick up)
- Habitat For Humanity
If your old chairs are in usable condition, you can always consider reselling them. Various exhibitions are organized to sell second-hand products, and you can sell your items through these exhibitions.
Apart from this, various websites serve as a marketplace for second-hand products. With the help of these websites, you can conveniently find a new place for your old office chairs.
All that you need to do is click pictures of your old chairs, upload them on the website, and mention the price you wish to demand.
Thousands of potential buyers keep track of the items uploaded on these websites, and that is how you can get genuine buyers.
There is always a chance to refinish your office chairs to produce other small products you further use for other purposes.
Technically, not many things can be made using the office chairs, but if the old chairs have slight damage or breakage, try refinishing them by various methods.
In the process of refinishing, you can update the look of your chair so that you can use it for some more time. The best part is, you can do the refinishing work all by yourself.
Follow the instructions mentioned below;
- The quickest and easiest way to refinish your office chairs is to paint them. Painting the furniture gives it a new look and makes it good to be reused with the new furniture.
- You can opt to change a few things on your chair, like replace its cushion or use a new pillow on it. It gives your chair a new life.
- You can choose to change the legs of your chair and give it new legs with different heights. Besides, you can also add casters to make your chair move freely from one place to another.
The best way to reuse your office chairs is to repurpose them and convert them into another usable piece of furniture.
So, what uses can an office chair be put to, besides sitting on them? Well, although you can’t put an office chair for a lot many other purposes, you can still use them for the following uses;
- You can put the old chairs in your storage room and use them for storage purposes. So, instead of getting rid of them, they could be a great place to store things.
- You can use 2-3 old chairs to convert them into an outdoor bench that can be used in your garden or backyard. Combine these chairs, cover them with nice bright-colored paint, and they’ll look as good as new.
- Using old chairs, you can also make a useful dog feeder. So, start with making a hole in between your chair, put the feeding bowl and fix it in, and it makes a perfect dog feeder for big-sized dogs.
Yet another way to reuse your office chairs is by reupholstering them. Office chairs go through the most wear and tear as they are extensively used for eight hours or more daily, making damages inevitable.
Such damages are mostly cracks or tearing of the upholstery that you can easily mend. So, you might not need to get rid of your old chair; even upholstering them can bring them back to life.
So, how do you reupholster a chair?
For reupholstering, you shall secure new fabric outside the old fabric of the chair. The process involves stretching and stapling the fabric on various corners of the chair one by one. With this convenient process, you can give your chair a brand new life.
Selling your office furniture to the liquidators is one of the most convenient ways to get rid of your old office chairs.
All you have to do is crack the best deal for your company, and the liquidators will handle the rest. So, many liquidating companies are working in this area, where they purchase your old furniture at low prices and sell the same to the other party at a profit.
So, what do you need to do?
- Clean your office chairs and click good pictures to show them in their best condition.
- Search for multiple liquidating companies and show the pictures of your office chairs.
- Get quotes from various options, and ask for the highest prices, as every company would negotiate to buy the old furniture at the best prices.
- Compare the various options and then make the final decision.
- Never show that you are in a hurry to sell your furniture, as the liquidators would try and cut the deal down to the lowest prices if they sense your urge to sell the furniture at the earliest.
So, there’s so much you can do with your old office chairs instead of just dumping them.